INFLAMMATION CAUSING FOODS EVERY SICKLE CELL PATIENT SHOULD AVOID


 

INFLAMMATION CAUSING FOODS EVERY SICKLE CELL PATIENT SHOULD AVOID


Sickle cell patients are prone to severe inflammation. Inflammation causes crisis pains, so we must try to find ways to minimise the crisis. Eliminating inflammation-causing foods imperative for sickle cell patients.


Below are some foods that I have eliminated or reduced from my diet. Every sickle cell patient should try to avoid these foods. 


Dairy

I stopped drinking animal milk, especially cow milk, many years ago because I noticed it was causing severe inflammation in my body. Research has shown that about two-thirds of the world's population are unable to digest cow milk. Milk is a highly inflammatory food and can lead to problems like diarrhoea, constipation, and hives. In my case, I get stomach upsets, nausea and vomiting too.


Margarine

I stopped using margarine many years ago as well because it is rich in trans fats and hydrogenated fats, which are bad fats and highly exacerbate inflammation in the body. Instead of using margarine in my cooking and baking, I opt for healthier fats like real butter, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, and ghee, which are rich in omega-three fatty acids and help reduce bad cholesterol in the body. It is also for this reason that I stay away from French fries? Burgers and doughnuts. 


Processed meats

Processed meats like sausages, hot dogs, and lunch meats are great inflammatory offenders and are highly linked to autoimmune diseases. I stay away from these completely. Instead, I opt for healthy fats like tuna, salmon, beans, nuts and chicken that are rich in omega


Alcohol

Alcohol causes chronic inflammation, especially in the liver,  and could lead to heart attacks and strokes. Sickle cell patients are prone to having strokes so staying away from alcohol is a wise decision. In my experience, each time I take even a little bit of alcohol, I end up with a crisis. Alcohol causes dehydration, so I avoid it like the plague. 


Vegetable oils

Vegetable oils like soy oil, safflower oil, and canola oil are high in omega 6, which can cause severe inflammation. I have stopped using these oils in my cooking and margarine, and I opt for healthier options like avocado, olive oils and real butter full of omega-three, which is good for my heart and Health. 


Sugar and refined carbohydrates. 

Processed sugar causes inflammation which leads to pain, redness, swelling, overheating. It also makes the immune system to be overactive. I stay away from sugar and prefer to go for anti-inflammatory foods like vegetables and fruits that are rich in fibre and natural sugars and can help me combat inflammation. 


Refined carbohydrates found in white rice, flour, pasta, pizza, and white bread,  break down to sugar and cause inflammation. They also have a higher glycemic index ( especially bad for diabetic patients). It is better to consume whole and unprocessed carbs found in grains, beans, vegetables and fruits. 


I try to avoid white rice and flour, and I eat more of sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and brown rice.


I love sugar, so this has been a real battle, but when it comes to my health, nothing is worth me getting sick. 


I suffer from severe inflammation in my legs and hands, and sickle cell disease makes me even more prone to more inflammation, so doing these things over the years have helped me reduce inflammation. 


What do You do to combat inflammation in your body? Are there any foods you stay away from? Tell me in the comments below.

MY BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZONE, 

PLEASE PURCHASE IT BY CLICKING HERE

Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

How does sickle cell disease affect pregnancy?