HOW TO SUPPORT STUDENTS WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASE AT SCHOOL Part 1

STUDENTS WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASE AT SCHOOL

HOW TO SUPPORT STUDENTS WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASE AT SCHOOL~ Part 1


Although sickle cell disease is most common amongst people of African descent; people of other races and ethnicities can have SCD as well.

Teachers are more likely to encounter students with Sickle cell disease, as schools become more diverse.

It is of utmost importance for teachers to learn how to support Sickle cell students because they may experience health problems during a school day.

During my school days, I didn’t always have the support I needed from teachers and administration because they were either completely oblivious of the situation or did not believe me when I said I wasn’t feeling well.

Although my mom did her best to come to school to explain my health condition and provide the documentation needed to prove that I wasn’t lying, not all teachers were supportive. As a result, I had many crises at school.

I remember having a severe sickle cell crisis because a physician Education instructor forced me to take part in sporting activities although I told him I was not feeling well. He thought I was being lazy. He didn’t believe I was really a sickle cell patient because I didn’t look like a typical ss patient.
My mom was so furious she almost sued the school but for the administration that calmed her down.



But, then how can teachers support students with sickle cell anemia and set them up for success?



✅~ Ensure adequate access to water/hydration. Allowing access to a bottle of water in class is an option.

✅~ Allow frequent bathroom breaks. Children with sickle cell disease produce large amounts of dilute urine even when they are dehydrated.

✅~ Teachers should not assign a student with SCD a seat in drafty locations, directly in front of fans . They must avoid cold and high heat and humidity).

✅~ Teachers can allow accommodations during physical education and recess activities.

✅~ Most children with SCD can engage in moderate exercise, including running.

✅~ Curricula may be modified so that a SCD students can participate in physical education in roles that are less strenuous, such as being the physical education teacher’s “assistant,” “scorekeeper,” or “umpire.”


What challenges did you face at school due to sickle cell disease? What supports were you given by your teachers if any?


What do you wish your school could have done differently to set you up for success?
Let us know in the comments below.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Do Not Drink From Plastic Bottles: Here’s Why